I hope you like the new Volunteer pages on our website. The site needed a "face" lift, so many thanks to our Marketing department for helping with the new layout and expanded information. Please visit the site often as we will be sharing information more frequently on what is happening in the volunteer department and the organization. Feel free to send us your suggestions on what you would like to see and learn from the site.
Last year, you as a group did amazing work in so many areas. You each gave so much and I want to share what you did collectively to support our patients, families, bereavement clients and our staff.
Our heartfelt thank-you goes out to each of you!!!
- You gave nearly 85,000 hours of your time - of that half was directly supporting patients and a quarter each in the offices and resales shops;
valued at $1.95 Million.
- You made more than 13,000 visits to 2,500 patients and more than 62,000 phone calls to support patients, their families and very close friends, who cared for their loved ones.
- You worked in inpatient units, homes and facilities, offices, events and meetings from Tequesta to the Broward/Dade County line.
- You range from the young age of 98 to 14 years old.
- You brought your pet therapy certified dogs; you came as couples or families; you brought smiles to camp and dried tears; you sang songs, read books and shared the memories of our patients.
- You stuffed, filed, and entered data; you bagged, hung and sorted.
- The list goes on and on... What would we ever do without you!
So what is new for this year?
We are pleased to be able to expand our services to support our patients and their families. If any of you are interested in being involved in these services, or if you have family, friends or neighbors who might like to join our volunteer team, please let us know. We are also looking for opportunities to present to groups about the many ways people can help as volunteers.
- Veteran to Veteran: Having a common bond is very important to a patient who is a Veteran so we are looking for Veterans to visit with these patients as Hospice volunteers.
- Seated Chair Massage: Caregivers deserve special attention and TLC, just for them. Attend the Seated Chair Massage training, offered from 2:45 - 4 pm every time we offer Volunteer training, and then be assigned to a caregiver to visit and give this special treat. Call 561-416-5113 to sign up for the date and location most convenient for you.
- Musicians: Do you sing or play an instrument? Share your talents with patients who could benefit from the gift of music. It may be a patient who has received Music Therapy and now would like to continue finding comfort from music or a patient who could benefit from music, but not in need of the counseling aspect of Music Therapy.
- Pet Peace of Mind: For those of you who appreciate the value of having a dog or cat in your home, volunteer to help our patients and families care for their pets. There is a training offered from 2:45 - 4 pm every time we offer Volunteer training, and then be assigned to a patient to help with their pet. Call 561-416-5113 to sign up for the date and location most convenient for you.
Keep on the lookout for your Annual Update Survey so we can be sure that we have your correct contact information and status as a volunteer. We so appreciate all that you do for us and look forward to an exciting 2016!
Director of Volunteer Services